Use our self-service tool to top-up margin 24/7 yourselves, via either Currencycloud Direct or our API.
What is margin?
Let’s take a step back. When you book a conversion, Currencycloud needs to hold an amount of collateral on balance to minimize risk if this trade doesn’t happen. You need to provide us with collateral so we can hold it on your account.
There are two types of collateral we accept:
- Margin: an amount held on your account for any conversions you want to book.
- Deposits: linked to specific, individual conversions. The deposit is deducted from the relevant balance at the point of booking the conversion. The remaining ‘sell’ amount of the conversion is debited on the settlement date of the conversion.
Why would I use margin over deposits?
Holding funds on balance as margin means you don’t have to provide individual deposits every time you book a conversion. If you’re looking to provide collateral for your customers too, holding margin means you don’t have to collect deposits from your customers before booking a conversion on their behalf, speeding up the process and improving their experience.
How do I top up my margin?
Topping up your margin is now even easier.
If you’re using Currencycloud Direct, there’s just two simple steps to follow:
- Log into the platform and find the right currency balance you want to top-up the margin on.
- Enter the amount and click on the margin top-up button. You’ll need to make sure that there are sufficient funds on the balance for the margin to be topped up instantly.
What happens if there are other pending transactions on my account?
Things to keep in mind:
- Margin top-ups take priority over all other transactions on your account. If you have a top-up margin transaction pending, as soon as sufficient funds become available on your balance, this transaction will happen first.
- If you don’t want margin funds being used for any other pending conversions, payments or transfers on your account, make sure you create a margin top-up transaction before funding your balance.
How do I stop my margin funds from being used for other pending transactions on my account?
If you don’t want margin funds being used for any other pending conversions, payments or transfers on your account, make sure you create a margin top-up transaction before funding your balance.
How do I control permissions around who can top-up margin?
The permission on who can top up their margin balance is managed by Currencycloud. If you need one or more of your contacts to get access to this functionality please contact Customer Support or your Customer Success Manager.